5 Tips to Embrace The Fall
It’s fully fall at the farm - fall is a time when energy goes down into the roots as we prepare for the cold. Horses grow thick coats, begin to preserve energy, cuddle closer than they do in summer. Fall can be a difficult transition for us people - we go from moving and doing and wearing our selves on the outside to more feeling who we are on the inside. All therapists know, this is our busy time as people come in for all their wounds they feel vividly all of a sudden. This is a time to be gentle with yourself, to nourish your own roots and sit with yourself as much as you can. Here are 5 tips to help you sit with and embrace this fall of energy.
1. . You are going to have really crabby days where you realize all the issues of your life. Breathe through those days and try not to get hooked into believing you are a failure. We are not the best nor the worst and that’s the truth.
2. It’s okay if you don’t want to do a lot. Ask yourself, “how can I make today as simple as possible?” And don’t forget to be joyful of what you are able to do!
3. Journal - write down everything you are noticing, this might look like writing down all your “problems” but just notice which ones need to change and which ones you can accept. Cleaning the garage can wait…
4. Get out for a walk everyday. Yeah, it’s getting colder, but bodies are meant to walk around and experience the wind, the leaves crunching under your feet, the smells of earth and air… it’s worth insisting that you get out.
5. Embrace your wise self. We all have a wise self that comes out when we really need it. Call upon this part in dark times when you find yourself grieving, confused and hopeless.
Feel free to comment with some tips you would like to share as you dive into fall! We all have a wild & wise part of ourselves that instinctually knows things. What does your part crave?
Kaia Livingstone is a psychotherapist who runs a private practice outside of Boulder, CO. She specializes in helping horses and humans bond in order to help them relate and connect on a deeper level as well as heal and grow.